My training is in Social Psychology with specialization in social cognition and intergroup relations. I examine gender and race stereotypes, prejudice, and discrimination. My particular focus is on stereotype violation and how individuals who violate expectations are evaluated and treated. Most recently, I have examined the effects of stereotype threat on middle school girls' math performance, first generation college students' academic performance, and women and racial minority students' leadership ability.
I also examine how being a stereotype violator affects one's identity, psychological well-being, and physical health. I have examined targets of prejudice and discrimination who violate stereotypes, including women in male-dominated careers, men in female-dominated careers, employed mothers, stay-at-home fathers, female leaders, gay men, lesbians, and voluntarily child free women. My research seeks to integrate and refine theories through the use of multiple types of measurement, including explicit, implicit, objective, and behavioral.
- Applied Social Psychology
- Attitudes and Beliefs
- Causal Attribution
- Gender Psychology
- Intergroup Relations
- Person Perception
- Persuasion, Social Influence
- Prejudice and Stereotyping
- Research Methods, Assessment
- Self and Identity
- Sexuality, Sexual Orientation
- Social Cognition
Research Group or Laboratory:
Internships and Assistantships:
- Casad, B. J., Marcus-Newhall, A., Nakawaki, B., Kasabian, A. S., & LeMaster, J. (in press). Younger age at first childbirth predicts mothers’ decreased economic and psychological well-being later in life. Journal of Family and Economic Issues. DOI: 10.1007/s10834-012-9289-0
- Casad, B. J., Flores, A. J.,* & Didway, J. D.* (in press). Using the Implicit Association Test as an unconsciousness raising tool in psychology. Teaching of Psychology.
- Sawyer, P., Major, B., Casad, B. J., Townsend, S. S. M., & Mendes, W. B. (2012). Discrimination and the stress response: Psychological and physiological consequences of anticipating prejudice in interracial interactions. American Journal of Public Health, 102, 1020-1026. doi:10.2105/AJPH.2011.300620
- Schlehofer, M. M., Casad, B. J., Bligh, M. C., & Grotto, A. R. (2011). Navigating public prejudices: The impact of media and attitudes on high-profile female political leaders. Sex Roles, 65, 69-82. DOI 10.1007/s11199-011-9965-9
- Bligh, M. C., Schlehofer, M. M., Casad, B. J., & Gaffney, A. M. (2011). Competent enough, but would you vote for her? Gender stereotypes and media influences on perceptions of women politicians. Journal of Applied Social Psychology. Article first published online: July 18, 2011. DOI: 10.1111/j.1559-1816.2011.00781.x
- Guzmán, B. L., Schlehofer-Sutton, M. M., Villanueva, C. M., Dello Stritto, M. E., Casad, B. J., & Feria, A. (2003). Let’s talk about sex: How comfortable discussions about sex impact teen sexual behavior. Journal of Health Communication, 8, 583-598.
- Guzmán, B. L., Casad, B. J., Schlehofer-Sutton, M. M., Villanueva, C. M., & Feria, A. (2003). CAMP: A community-based approach to promoting safe sex behaviour in adolescence. Journal of Community & Applied Social Psychology, 13, 269-283.
- Casad, B. J. (2007). Expectations. In R. F. Baumeister & K. D. Vohs (Eds.), Encyclopedia of social psychology (Vol.1, pp. 327-328). Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage.
- Casad, B. J. (2007). Confirmation bias. In R. F. Baumeister & K. D. Vohs (Eds.), Encyclopedia of social psychology (Vol.1, pp. 162-164). Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage.
- LeMaster, J., Marcus-Newhall, A., Casad, B. J., & Silverman, N. (2004). Life experiences of working and stay-at-home mothers. In J. L. Chin (Ed.), The Psychology of Prejudice and Discrimination: Gender and Sexual Orientation (Vol. 3, pp. 61-91). New York: Praeger.
- Casad, B. J., & Kasabian, A. S. (2010). Feminism. In J. M. Levine and M. A. Hogg (Eds.), Encyclopedia of Group Processes and Intergroup Relations (Vol. 1, pp. 281-284). Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage.
- Marcus-Newhall, A., Casad, B. J., LeMaster, J., Peraza, J., & Silverman, N. (2008). Mothers’ work-life experiences: The role of cultural factors. In A. Marcus-Newhall, D. Halpern, & S. Tan (Eds.), The changing realities of work and family: A multidisciplinary approach (pp. 85-107). Oxford: Blackwell.
- Casad, B. J. (2008). Issues and trends in work-family interaction. In A. Marcus-Newhall, D. Halpern, & S. Tan (Eds.), The changing realities of work and family: A multidisciplinary approach (pp. 277-292). Oxford: Blackwell.
- Halpern, D. F., Anton, B., Beins, B., Berstein, D., Blair-Broeker, C., Brewer, C., Buskist, B., Casad, B. J., Dixon, W., Harper, Y. Y., Hailstorks, R., Kite, M., Puccio, P., & Rocheleau, C. (2010). Principles for quality undergraduate education in psychology. In D. F. Halpern (Ed.), Undergraduate education in psychology: A blueprint for the future of the discipline (pp. 161-173). Washington DC: American Psychological Association.
- Worrell, F. C., Casad, B. J., Daniel, D. B., McDaniel, M., Messer, W. S., Miller, H. L., Prohaska, V., & Zlokovich, M. S. (2010). Promising principles for translating psychological science into teaching and learning. In D. F. Halpern (Ed.), Undergraduate education in psychology: A blueprint for the future of the discipline (pp. 129-144). Washington DC: American Psychological Association.
- Richlin, L., Casad, B. J., Hensley, S., Hilton, J., & Williams, J. (2002). Teaching and learning in different academic settings. In G. Wheeler (Ed.), Teaching and learning in college: A resource for educators (4th ed., pp. 91-142). Elyria, Ohio: Info-Tec.
- Casad, B. J. (2009). The role of stereotype threat in women’s representation in science, technology, engineering, and math. In K. Weber (Ed.), International Technology Education Association Equity Guide (2nd ed., pp.10-13). Reston, VA: ITEA.
- Casad, B. J., & Jawaharlal, M. (2012, June). Learning through guided discovery–An engaging approach to K-12 STEM education. American Society for Engineering Education Conference Proceedings. K-12 and Pre-College Engineering Division.
- Applied Social Psychology
- Experimental Psychology
- Intergroup Relations
- Psychology of Women
- Research Methods in the Behavioral Sciences
- Senior Seminar: Stereotyping, Prejudice, and Discrimination
- Social Psychology
- Statistics for the Behavioral Sciences
Bettina J. Casad
One University Blvd.
325 Stadler Hall
St. Louis, MO 63368
- Phone: (909) 869-3470
- Fax: 314-516-5392
- Skype Name: bjcasad